Information for the General Public: Please consult the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) for the latest updates on COVID-19 as well as tips for protecting your health.
COVID-19 Responses & Resources from the National Academies
The full list of resources, events, and updates from the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine can be found here.
Framework for Equitable Allocation of COVID-19 Vaccine
Framework for Equitable Allocation of COVID-19 Vaccine offers an overarching framework for vaccine allocation to assist policy makers in the domestic and global health communities. Built on widely accepted foundational principles and recognizing the distinctive characteristics of COVID-19, this report’s recommendations address the commitments needed to implement equitable allocation policies for COVID-19 vaccine.
NAM Members’ Response to COVID-19
Since our founding in 1970, members of the National Academy of Medicine have been on the frontlines during public health crises in the United States and around the globe. That tradition continues today as NAM members respond to the COVID-19 global pandemic.
COVID-19 has impacted economies, communities, and lives around the world. As new information on transmission, prevention strategies, and treatment is developing in real time, NAM members are conducting, publishing, and funding research to understand the long-term effects of COVID-19 and develop a safe and effective vaccine against the virus. They are treating patients and developing clinical guidelines to improve care quality and access, roll out and support telemedicine services, and diagnose cases of COVID-19. NAM members have been communicating with the general public, policy makers, and media to dispel misinformation and provide updates on the global response to the pandemic. As racial and ethnic minority communities in the United States experience disproportionate burdens from COVID-19, NAM members are speaking out as social justice advocates and champions for health equity.
In these ways and countless others, NAM members are an integral part of advancing health and well-being during the COVID-19 crisis and beyond.
Taking Action Against Clinician Burnout: Leadership Commitment During COVID-19 and Beyond
To support health care leaders facing immense challenges during and beyond the pandemic, the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine is disseminating many new resources for leaders striving to implement systems approaches to the problems that health care workers face, including the Leadership Commitment During COVID-19 and Beyond Video, which features CEOs of health systems across the United States discussing their organization-wide commitments to clinician well-being
There are no upcoming events at this time. Please check back later.
- Confronting Urgent Threats to Human Health & Society: COVID-19 and Climate Change
- Public Listening Session: Discussion Draft of the Preliminary Framework for Equitable Allocation of COVID-19 Vaccine
- Supporting Clinician Well-Being During COVID-19
- Helping People with Addiction Stay Connecting During COVID-19
- Sustainable Development Goals in the Era of COVID-19: The Role of Science, Technology and Innovation
- Treating Addiction Across the Care Continuum During COVID-19: Challenges and Promising Practices
- COVID-19 Update at the 157th Annual Meeting of the National Academy of Sciences
- Strengthening Coordination Across the Social Safety Net for Patients with Addiction
- NAM Leadership Consortium Culture and Inclusiveness Action Collaborative Webinar
- NAM Leadership Consortium Evidence Mobilization Action Collaborative Summer Webinar
- Public Workshop: Equitable Allocation of Vaccine for the Novel Coronavirus
Standing Committee on Emerging Infectious Diseases and 21st Century Health Threats
In response to a request from the Office of Science and Technology Policy and the Office of the Assistant Secretary for Preparedness and Response, the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine convened a standing committee of experts to help inform the federal government on critical science and policy issues related to COVID-19 and other infectious disease threats. Learn more >>
Coronavirus News and Resources
- Conversations on COVID-19: Impacts on Communities of Color (Resource Collection)
- The Search for a COVID-19 Vaccine — ‘There’s No One Winner’ (Feature Story | June 17, 2020)
- Enlisting Science and Technology in the Fight Against COVID-19 — and the Ongoing Struggle for Sustainable Development (Feature Story | May 20, 2020)
- What Data Do We Need to Reopen the Country? Webinar Explores What to Watch (Feature Story | May 19, 2020)
- Victor Dzau speaks at Coronavirus Global Response International Pledging Event (News Item | May 8, 2020)
- COVID-19 and Health Equity — Serving the Underserved, Poorly Served, and Never Served (Feature Story | May 5, 2020)
- COVID-19 Testing: What It Measures, Who Gets It, and How Much Is Needed (Feature Story | April 28, 2020)
- NAS Annual Meeting: Experts Discuss COVID-19 Pandemic and Science’s Response (Feature Story | April 27, 2020)
- Exploring the Importance of Pharmacies to Public Health (Feature Story | April 22, 2020)
- Doing the “Greatest Good for the Greatest Number of People” (Feature Story | April 2020)
- Experts Explore Challenges of Testing Treatments for COVID-19 (Feature Story | April 15, 2020)
- U.S. Funding for the World Health Organization Should Not Be Interrupted During COVID-19 Pandemic, Say Presidents of NAS, NAE, & NAM (Statement | April 15, 2020)
- The Critical Need for International Cooperation During the COVID-19 Pandemic: Joint Statement of Academies of Sciences and Medicine (Statement | April 8, 2020)
- “G-Science” Academies Stress Critical Need for International Cooperation in Responding to COVID-19 Pandemic (Statement | April 8, 2020)
- Supporting Children and Families in Social Isolation (Resource Collection | April 6, 2020)
- Exploring the Science of Social Distancing and What It Means for Everyday Life (Feature Story | April 3, 2020)
- World Academies Call for Global Solidarity on COVID-19 Pandemic (Statement | March 27, 2020)
- Our Response to COVID-19: A Message from the Presidents of the NAS, NAE, and NAM (Statement | March 24, 2020)
- Statement From the Presidents of the NAS, NAE, and NAM Supporting Steps Necessary to Assess the Potential for Human Convalescent Plasma to Help Control COVID-19 (Statement | March 23, 2020)
- Letter from the NAM, NAS, and NAE Presidents Regarding COVID-19 Crisis to House and Senate Leadership (Statement | March 21, 2020)
- Harvey Fineberg Named Chair of Standing Committee Requested by White House in Response to Coronavirus (Announcement | March 6, 2020)
- Duty to Plan: Health Care Crisis Standards of Care, and Novel Coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 (Discussion Paper | March 5, 2020)
- COVID-19: An Urgent Call for Coordinated, Trusted Sources to Tell Everyone What They Need to Know and Do (Commentary | March 5, 2020)
- White House Requests National Academies Standing Committee on Emerging Infectious Diseases and 21st Century Health Threats in Response to Spread of Coronavirus (News Item | February 28, 2020)
- National Academies Provide Rapid-Response to White House on Coronavirus Data Needs (February 7, 2020)
- NAM President Victor J. Dzau Joins Fellow Members of Global Preparedness Monitoring Board in Issuing Statement on Outbreak of 2019-novel Coronavirus (News Item | January 30, 2020)