To support access to high-quality health information during the COVID-19 pandemic and beyond, the National Academy of Medicine convened an independent advisory group to develop principles and attributes to guide social media companies and other digital platforms in identifying and elevating credible sources of health information in their channels. The outcome of this project is a peer-reviewed discussion paper now available through NAM Perspectives.
Advisory Group: An expert advisory group appointed by the NAM will gather information and deliberate in order to author a discussion paper for publication in NAM Perspectives. Notes from the advisory group’s meetings are posted on this webpage.
Public Comment Opportunity: Initial definitions, principles, and questions were posted on this webpage for public comment between April 5 and April 9, 2021. Additional public comment opportunities may be added.
Information-Gathering Webinar: The NAM hosted a public webinar on April 5, 2021, to hear feedback from experts, stakeholders, and the public.
Feedback Synthesis: A summary of feedback received during the public comment period and webinar is posted on this webpage.
Final Discussion Paper: A peer-reviewed paper containing guidance for consideration by social media platforms was published in July 2021.
- Raynard Kington, MD, MBA, PhD (Chair), Phillips Academy in Andover
- Stacey Arnesen, MS, National Library of Medicine
- Wen-Ying Sylvia Chou, PhD, MPH, National Cancer Institute
- Sue Curry, PhD, University of Iowa (Emeritus)
- David Lazer, PhD, Northeastern University
- Antonia Villarruel, PhD, RN, University of Pennsylvania
- Laura DeStefano (Project Director), Director of Communications, NAM
- David Butler, PhD, Founding Director, Cultural, Ethical, Social, and Environmental Responsibility in Engineering Program, National Academy of Engineering
- Jenna Ogilvie, MFA, Deputy Director of Communications, NAM
- Holly Rhodes, PhD, Director, Standing Committee on Advancing Science Communication, National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine
- March 12, 2021 | First Advisory Group Meeting
- April 5, 2021 | Public Webinar
- April 28, 2021 | Second Advisory Group Meeting
- May 13, 2021 | Third Advisory Group Meeting
- June 14, 2021 | Fourth Advisory Group Meeting