Foundation for Anesthesia Education and Research (FAER) NAM Fellowship
The next call for nominations will open in March 2024.
The Foundation for Anesthesia Education and Research (FAER) has endowed a new National Academy of Medicine (NAM) fellowship to provide early-career anesthesiology scholars with the opportunity to experience and participate in committee, workshop, and roundtable activities of NAM and the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine (the National Academies).
The overall purpose of the FAER NAM Fellowship is to provide talented, early-career anesthesiology scholars with the opportunity to experience and participate in evidence-based healthcare or public health studies that improve the care and access to care of patients in domestic and global health care systems. Candidates must be full-time anesthesiologist faculty members at an academic institution. The program especially welcomes nominations of historically underrepresented candidates.
The FAER NAM Fellowship is awarded for a two-year period. During this time, the fellow is expected to continue to work at their primary academic/research post, while being assigned to a health- and medicine-related board, working group or committee within the National Academies.
The fellowship requires a 10- to 20-percent commitment of time for two years, and includes attendance at a one-week orientation to health policy, the NAM Annual Meeting in October and the meetings of the assigned board. Domestic travel expenses are covered for participation in approved fellowship activities. Additionally, the fellow will participate actively in the work of an appropriate study committee or roundtable, including contributing to its reports or other products. Studies that would enable the potential for the fellow to contribute to the value of integrating medicine and public health will be identified.
This experience will introduce the FAER NAM Fellow to a variety of experts and perspectives, including legislators, government officials, industry leaders, executives of voluntary health organizations, scientists, and other health professionals. In addition, each fellow will be assigned to an NAM member who will serve as a senior mentor during the two years of the fellowship.
A flexible research grant of $25,000 will be awarded to each FAER NAM Fellow, which will be administered through the appropriate department in the fellow’s home institution to advance the fellow’s professional and academic career. This grant is not intended for use as a salary offset for the fellow, and no indirect costs are allowed.
Nominees for the FAER NAM Fellowship must:
- Be nominated by a member of the NAM or a board member of FAER
- Be full-time anesthesiologist faculty members at an academic institution
- Hold an M.D., D.O. or equivalent
- Be two-to-ten years out from completion of post-graduate work
- Be actively engaged in and demonstrating interest in ongoing research in any of the following scientific categories, which will be equally considered: clinical, basic, translational, implementation, epidemiological and sociological
- Be able to dedicate 10 to 20 percent of time to the fellowship for two years
- Hold U.S. citizen or permanent resident status at the time of the nomination
Nominees will be evaluated by an NAM-appointed committee based on their professional qualifications, scholarship, and quality of professional accomplishments as evidenced through publications and research grants, and relevance of current field expertise to the work of the NAM.
A complete nomination packet must be submitted electronically through the online nomination system at https://fellowship.nam.edu/ and will include the following documents:
- A nomination letter from a member of the NAM or FAER Board of Directors
- Three (3) letters of reference
- A supporting letter from the candidate’s department chair, institute director, or equivalent
- An up-to-date curriculum vitae
- A brief one-page bio
- A one-page personal statement
Fellowships will be awarded in even years.
- March 2024 | Call for nominations opens
- June 2024 | Nomination packets are due at 3:00pm ET
- July 2024 | Awardee is notified
- September 2024 | Fellow orientation week at the NAM is held
- October 2024 | Fellow is introduced to the Membership at the NAM Annual Meeting
Inquiries about the FAER NAM Fellowship should be directed to:
Health Policy Fellowships and Leadership Programs
National Academy of Medicine
500 Fifth Street, NW
Washington, DC 20001
Phone: (202) 334-1506