The National Academy of Medicine’s Emerging Leaders in Health and Medicine Program (the ELHM Program) began in 2016 to increase the NAM’s engagement with exceptional, interdisciplinary early- and mid-career professionals working in biomedical science, population health, health care, health policy, and related fields. The ELHM Program facilitates opportunities for mentorship, collaboration, and innovation between the emerging leaders, NAM members, and experts across sectors. The goals of the NAM ELHM program are:
- Strengthening NAM by infusing the expertise, perspectives, energy, and enthusiasm of emerging leaders into NAM’s programs and meetings
- Enhancing the leadership experience, expertise, and opportunities of the NAM Emerging Leaders by:
- Integrating Emerging Leaders into NAM programs and meetings.
- Creating leadership training, experiences, and mentoring by NAM members and others tailored to the Emerging Leader’s career goals.
- Networking with other current and past NAM Emerging Leaders and NAM members.
There are two components of the ELHM Program:
- Emerging Leaders in Health and Medicine Scholars (ELHM Scholars)
- Emerging Leaders Forum
Call for Applications
The call for applications for the NAM Emerging Leaders in Health and Medicine (ELHM) Scholars is open from November 13, 2020-January 13, 2021. Applications will be accepted through the online applications portal according to the details below.
NAM Emerging Leaders in Health and Medicine Scholars (ELHM Scholars)
NAM seeks to identify a highly diverse group of exceptional interdisciplinary early-and mid-career professionals in clinical medicine, biomedical science, population health, healthcare policy, and related fields as nominees for participation in the NAM Emerging Leaders program. Successful applicants will have demonstrated potential at the local and/or national levels.
Each year, NAM selects up to 10 Emerging Leaders Scholars to serve 3-year terms as ELHM Scholars. NAM Emerging Leaders will continue to work at their primary institutions, while participating each year in two NAM Emerging Leaders meetings and the NAM Annual Meeting. Depending on their expertise and interests, NAM Emerging Leaders may also participate in NAM and NASEM activities such as consensus studies, planning committees, thematic workshops, and roundtables. No stipend is provided.
Selection of participants of both components will be based on a variety of factors, including personal and professional achievement, demonstrated creativity and field leadership, and the need for diverse perspectives. Qualified candidates will:
- Have completed a terminal degree (or have equivalent experience and knowledge) in a relevant profession or field of study
- Be early- to mid-career (defined generally as 5-15 years following attainment of the primary professional degree)
- Demonstration of significant professional accomplishment and exceptional leadership potential
- Provide two letters of recommendation, at least one of which must be from an NAM Member
- Statement of institutional support (support for program participation, release time, and/or travel funding) from their primary institution or department.
- Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident at the time of the application
NAM Emerging Leaders in Health and Medicine Scholars
Each year, up to 10 early- and mid-career professionals with demonstrated leadership and exceptional professional achievement in biomedical science, population health, health care and related fields are selected to serve 3-year terms as ELHM Scholars. While continuing to work at their primary institution, the ELHM Scholars will participate in certain NAM activities, exchange ideas with each other and field leaders across sectors and disciplines, receive mentoring from NAM members, and help shape the ELHM Program. Participants also provide valuable input and feedback to help shape the priorities of the NAM and sustain the NAM’s impact and reputation as a national leader in advancing knowledge and accelerating progress in science, medicine, policy, and health equity. ELHM Scholars may publish Perspectives, participate in convening activities throughout the larger National Academies, and participate in interest groups.
NAM Emerging Leaders Forum
The Emerging Leaders Forum is an annual assembly of outstanding early- and mid-career professionals with exceptional professional promise, achievement, and leadership in biomedical science, health, health care, and related fields. Invited attendees will explore some of the most pressing challenges in health and medicine, with the aim of considering and stimulating collaborative interdisciplinary solutions. The next Emerging Leaders Forum will be held on April 20-21, 2021, in Washington, DC.
The Emerging Leaders Forum is an invitation-only event and includes both formal panel sessions and interactive breakout groups attended by NAM Members and Emerging Leaders.
If you have any questions about the Emerging Leaders Forum, please email Gregg Margolis at email@example.com.