The Future of Nursing 2020-2030 Webinar Series
Webinar 1: An Overview of Nursing’s Role in Addressing Health Equity
Workshop Date and Time: | June 29, 2021 3:00 PM – 4:00 PM ET
Where: Via webinar
The National Academy of Medicine (NAM) presents a 4-part webinar series exploring the blueprint for the next decade of nursing as outlined in its new report, The Future of Nursing 2020-2030: Charting a Path to Achieve Health Equity.
Join the NAM on June 29, 2021 for the first webinar of this series, which will dive into nursing and health equity. Panelists will examine why the United States maintains some of the poorest health outcomes among developed nations through a discussion on the roots of health inequities and social determinants of health and the health implications thereof. Panelists will strategize how the nursing profession can work to address social determinants of health and achieve health equity. Featured panelists will include:
- Dr. David Williams (Committee Co-Chair), Florence and Laura Norman Professor of Public Health and Chair of the Department of Social and Behavioral Sciences, Harvard T. H. Chan School of Public Health; Professor of African and African American Studies, Harvard University
- Dr. Angelica Millan (Committee member), Former Children’s Medical Services Nursing Director, County of Los Angeles Department of Public Health
- Dr. Kenya Beard, Associate Provost, Social Mission and Academic Excellence, Chamberlain University
The National League for Nursing has been approved as an Accredited Provider by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET), 2201 Cooperative Way; Suite 600, Herndon, VA 20171. Certificates (indicating contact hours/CEUs) will be awarded to participants who attend the full duration of the webinar, submit a completed evaluation form online, and complete an assessment demonstrating learning outcomes have been met as defined by the content objectives.
Webinar 1: 0.1 CEU/1 Contact Hour – The last day to receive CEUs for Webinar 1 will be July 27, 2021.
Webinar 2: 0.15 CEUS/1.5 Contact Hours – The last day to receive CEUs for Webinar 2 will be August 18, 2021.
Webinar 3: 0.15 CEUS/1.5 Contact Hours – The last day to receive CEUs for Webinar 3 will be August 30, 2021.
Webinar 4: 0.15 CEUS/1.5 Contact Hours – The last day to receive CEUs for Webinar 3 will be August 30, 2021.
Total for attending all 4 webinars: 0.55 CEUS/5.5 Contact Hours
3:00 pm ET | Welcome & Introductory Comments
- Susan Hassmiller, Senior Scholar-in-Residence and Advisor to the President on Nursing, National Academy of Medicine
3:05 pm ET | Overview of Health Inequities and Association with Poor Health Outcomes
- David Williams, Harvard University
3:15 pm ET | Dismantling Structural Racism in the Nursing Profession: Lessons from the Field
- Kenya Beard, Chamberlain University
3:25 pm ET | Creating a Shared Agenda for the Nursing Profession to Address Social Determinants of Health and Achieve Health Equity
- Angelica Millan, County of Los Angeles Department of Public Health
3:35 pm ET | Q&A and Discussion
4:00 pm ET | Adjourn